My name is Sarah, and I was born in Southern California. After a few years of living in Texas and Oklahoma, I settled here on the Central Coast with my family at the ripe old age of 10. I attended elementary school, junior high, and high school here in SLO before moving down to Orcutt for about 15 years and then returning to SLO County in 2014. I have one older brother who lives here locally along with my parents and grandparents.
I love animals and have always been involved in animal rescue in some way. In 2016 a friend and I took the red eye to Georgia on a Friday night to pick up a rescue dog, and then we drove straight back to the Central Coast in 35 hours only stopping to switch drivers and grab food. I even made it to work Monday morning! I was also involved with a couple of local roller derby leagues for a few years as a player, a coach, and as an announcer (many friends still know me as Cinder). While I do miss playing, a few injuries and the time commitment required to be competitive sent me in new directions. I love the outdoors and really enjoy hiking and running on our awesome local trails. I ran the San Luis Half Marathon in 2015 and hope to do more. A full marathon is definitely on my bucket list. I love trying new things; I do my best to live life to the fullest, and am always looking for some type of adventure.
I was lucky enough to work in the wine industry for a few years and have learned to love and appreciate the amazing wine that is produced here on the Central Coast, but I started my journey with Wallace Group in June of 2015 as the receptionist and quickly moved into the Construction Management Department where my heart belongs. I’ve since learned that SWPPPs (Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plan) can be exciting and not just a cure for insomnia. I’m very happy here and am looking forward to what’s next!
- Describe what you do at WG
- I primarily provide admin support and comic relief for the Construction Management Dept. I also do SWPPP inspections, and during the rains you will most likely find me out in the field playing in the mud and water.
- What are some of your favorite activities with WG?
- I love the charitable side of Wallace Group and the healthy, active culture. If we are sponsoring a run, I’m usually participating in it. I am also on the Fun Committee, and I must say, we are a super fun group!
- What are you involved in outside WG?
- I have recently become involved with RISE (a non-profit that provides services to survivors of sexual and intimate partner violence and their loved ones) and am co-chairing a committee for the annual Wine Women and Shoes Gala.
- I’m also in the process of joining our local Sheriff’s Search and Rescue Unit. This will allow me to fulfill my need to serve the community and get outside as well.
- Favorite pastime
- I love to read! And if I can relax in a lounge chair or hammock in the woods with a good book, I’m in heaven!
- Favorite movie
- Just might be Pretty Woman.
- Favorite food
- I love all kinds of food, but if I had to choose one thing for my very last meal it would have to be mashed potatoes and corn; I do so love carbs and starches!
- Describe your dream vacation
- I have two dream vacations – I would love to stay in one of those huts on the water in Bora Bora, and I would love to spend time in an isolated cabin in the mountains.
- What’s your favorite childhood memory?
- It would either be riding my bike in the rain with my brother or playing in the mud pit in our front yard in the rain.
- What’s your secret ability?
- I’m really quite good at leg wrestling. Also I sneeze like a cat, which suits me and my obsession with cats.
- What is the furthest away from SLO have you been?
- That would probably be Kauai.